Tuesday 31 May 2011

Joe Steele: Compositing


Joe has been making progress in as far as the composites for the shots I gave him which were shot:02, shot:03, shot:09, shot:10, shot:16 and shot:30. When I took a look at the shots I was impressed with his efforts although it came to my attention that the shots were far too red in hue. The colour balance looked unrealistic. He explained that he did not understand why the shots were exporting really dark and red. He then thought that perhaps it was either the colour correction in his version of after effects or his laptop display settings. I ltold him to try an export them again but this time grading the sequences so that they were lighter and more orange rather than red. I suspected also that perhaps he was using the multiply layer property rather than overlay which I usually use in order to overlay the occlusion pass. Obviously it depends how the image is lit and its exposure, however multiply tends to make layers darker whereas overlay usually renders layers either transparent or brighter depending on exposure/ brightness. I told him to try overlay rather than multiply. We tested this theory and it seemed to work better than the multiply layer property.

Shot:10
My composite

(Better colour quality and more orange than red)

Joe's Composite

(Far too red)


No comments:

Post a Comment