Friday 20 May 2011

Cigar Model & Cylindrical UV Mapping


Heres a cigar model sub divided and smoothed.


The wire Frame.
Occlusion.
I planar UV mapped the cigar tip.
Below is the cigar texture I created using various images and merging them together using photoshop.
The bump map.

I added a bump map texture to the cigar tip.

I wasn't too sure how to cylindrical UV map at first. I have to admit this was the first time I was experimenting with the cylindrical map function. At first I was confused as to why it was not working and the cylindrical map projection always seemed to vertically despite the fact that the cigar model was horizontally oriented even when I had instructed Maya to project along the Z axis. Needless to say I was getting confused. In the end I figured if I just rotate the model to follow the Y axis the cylindrical map should work. This solution did indeed work but I still have no idea why Maya refused to project along any other axis orient.


A simple render test. I tested the textured model in the cognac and cards scene so I could work with an accurate and effective lighting setup. I find the render preview doesn't always give an accurate representation of what your final render should look like. I was happy to discover that the texture and the bump map were working very well and behaving well with the lighting. I was worried that the seams may be visible so I rotated the cigar so as to hide the seams. The seams are somewhat unavoidable, particularly when dealing with cylindrical objects. So long as we are clever in model positioning, any unwanted seams should remain hidden and discreet.


No comments:

Post a Comment