Thursday 16 June 2011

Directing

During this last year on this final project, directing has, I admit been stressful on occasions. However I have also enjoyed it tremendously. It is one of those "love hate" things. I have learnt so much over this final year. It has been a good opportunity and a steep learning curve. I wanted to direct my own film in order to improve upon my directorial and story telling skills. It was perhaps unrealistic to think that we could finish a complete narrative in under a year with just my brother and I working on the project. However it was a pleasure to work with my brother who could relate to my initial idea and vision and whom has tremendous talent. This final year was an opportunity for us both to learn new things and develop as artists. This experience has consequently made me more eager to continue directing in the future. I have alsways enjoyed directing and I love telling stories.

My idea was not initially picked but I managed to convince Mike that my idea was worth pursuing. I wanted to work on something, unique, original and different. I feel that animation does not need always need to cater for children and they certainly do not need to feature fluffy animals. I wanted to do something mature, that targeted the adult audience. I wanted to try and create an animation short between the realistic and the stylized. I wanted my idea to touch the audience through emotive story telling. After all my idea is about love and tragedy.
I also wanted to go ahead with my idea as I thought it would be the best way to learn, rather than work under someone else's film that I may not otherwise have learnt as much or had enjoyed working on. To direct was my own idea was my aim. If I fail to accomplish my initial targets, well at least I can say I tried. After all, University is all about learning and experimentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment