Saturday 13 November 2010

Pitch

My Pitch was not well received and did not go as well as I had planned despite much preparation.
Perhaps I did not discuss all the major points clearly. It was stated that my idea was too much like Sin City despite the fact that I clearly said that I was inspired by the look of the film, the character Marv and the film noir genre. In a way this "negative" point was actually a positive one as I had thus successfully interpreted and recreated a scene which mimicked the film noir feel. Besides my story is completely different. Perhaps the major problem was the character design. However a character can be easily changed, the story however is much more difficult to alter. It was also stated that my idea seemed cold and heartless. This is not what I wanted to get across. Frank is supposed to be a hit-man yes, however he is reluctant and filled with regret. Frank is supposed to look tough on the outside but inside he is a romantic. His relationship with Rachel demonstrates this.

It was said that my story might have to be changed because there were too many questions, there was no backstory to the character and there was no resolution to the ending. Well I wanted the viewer to ask themselves why Frank is in this situation, who is this character and will he go through with the contract? The reason why there is no backstory is because I didn't think it was relevant. I wanted to put the viewer straight in a scenario with the character. And as for the ending I wanted the viewer to make up their own mind as to what will happen.

I think this is an idea worth pursuing because I have put a lot of though in to this project. I feel that this is a story that can be told within 4 minutes and is achievable within the time allocated.

I was told to watch Le Samourai directed by Jean-Pierre Melville starring Allain Delon for research and inspiration. It is a French film made in 1967 about a hit-man.

No comments:

Post a Comment